Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Monday, June 28, 2010

Third Date

We rode together pleasantly, Mr. Google and me, in the early morning.  His choice in bicycle routes and mine agreed, and since we rode along the coast from San Clemente to San Diego, we faced no reasonable options.  A hilly ride it was, undulating in that lovely weather people wrongly call “June Gloom.” We agreed on everything, as comrades where options are few.  It is where landscapes open and personal preferences become possibilities, and where many roads lead to the same place through different experience, that individuals arise and become ugly conflicts. 





The parking lot in Carlsbad.  The Daily News Café where Mr. Google and I stopped for breakfast










Torrey Pines originated in just these few acres near San Diego.  They moved outward from here by the aid of human imagination to many other places.  The biggest one is in Pasadena on Hill Avenue.  In like manner, I originated in Africa, and by the aid of imagination came to this place—paler, clothed, and thousands of years later, far from where I began and far from where my followers will go. 










At San Diego, we had many choices for the last thirty miles to El Cajon.  At first we both suggested the same familiar roads near UCSD, but then he suggested the meandering path along Mission Bay.  It sounded so refreshing that I willingly followed.








But then it became time for his long anticipated left turn onto Friars Road.  I was horrified to learn that I could not turn there because it is an overpass with no way around.  Of course I fussed and screamed; what did he expect when we’d gone five miles that I’d  have to retrace.  So I left him there and stomped off in a pout.  I climbed down the steep bank with my bike and got to Friars Road despite his stupidity.  But even here in the bushes, all alone again, I made a necessary stop and found an unexpected pleasure.





In the bush
where nature calls
it beckons more 













We met again later in the day, in a place where by coincidence our paths crossed.  I bid him a wave and polite greeting; he said nothing.  The time had come to accept that our relationship might become friendly, but not close. 

I’m at my sister’s house now  and will go home in a car.

8 comments:

  1. ooohhh...back to nature in the bush, she turns into a nasturstium... um, it's all natural in a growing relationship, a bit of struggle, some argument, pushing through the obstinate soil... it all comes out smelling like roses (or nasturtiums) in the end... we hope so anyway... Mr Google can be a bit of a goon? (1. A thug hired to intimidate or harm opponents. 2. A stupid or oafish person) Well maybe, but then again maybe you know... he just might be Dr Google (??) he's free as a bird (or for us to use him) so it's hard to complain... anyway welcome to the success of your trip and into the world of minature golf (??) and miniature hills...? Just wait for the Sierras... where will you leave Professor Google then... while you go wild where people kiss (?) and don't tell.

    Happy to have you back in the world where people can talk on air, I always miss you when you're off with your dates... but at least we can can get lost in the blog about it together later!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amidst all the adventure and intrigue I love how, after you reach your destination, you calmly state, "...and will go home in a car."

    Enjoyed reading about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kathabela and Stevie for commenting. It’s a pleasure to hear responses. This first leg of summer has been a pleasure to share with you. Others tell me they read this blog, but it’s nice to see comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right Sharon. . .I'm back from beautiful blue sky Colorado and trying to appreciate June gloom as you do. Whatever, I have enjoyed the ride and envy those strong young (?) legs of yours. Keep riding on gal. . .I'm happy to go with you.

    Voyager Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Carol. Glad to have you along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ridden through Dana Point to San Onofre a few times, but I never get south of San Onofre. Someday. It's quite mysterious not knowing what happens next at Camp Pendleton.

    Are there more adventures coming this summer? This would be enough more most mortals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Steven. Only recently has Camp Pendleton been reopened to cyclists after its closing after 9/11/01. You have to show an ID at the gate, and they have signs to direct cyclists.

    Yes I have more summer out there and several plans. See the first two posts on this blog for details. Here’s a summary:

    Sierra Hike 7/16 – 7/26
    Death Valley 8/16 – 8/30
    Pakistan from late September to late October

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let the folks at Google know so that others won't have to pout as well.

    ReplyDelete