Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Saturday, June 19, 2010

On the Bike Again

Many times I’ve made the trip to El Cajon—three days of about fifty miles a day, stopping in Laguna Beach and Carlsbad.  But the rate at Crescent Bay Motel in Laguna Beach, a run-down place, by far the cheapest place in town, has gone up to $120, and something had to change.  So this time I’ll stay in San Clemente at the Budget Lodge for half the price, making the trip in two seventy-five mile days, and take the cost of a bed out of my hide.  A child should be able to do more and go farther as she ages, right?

Summer officially begins for this traveler at the first twinkle of solstice light next Tuesday.  A leg thrown over the bicycle, a few turns of pedal, and old life turns young.  Starting in Ventura, I’ll simply ride home that first day—78 miles to South Pasadena.  Then on to El Cajon after a carless rest. 

My logic in these matters is selective; I pick logic that best serves emotion.  In this case I have the new world of Google maps to amuse me.  If you enter two locations and click on the bicycle icon, an amazing thing happens, entirely new under the sun.  Magic begins, and a reasonably good bicycle route pops forth.  I have tried them and they usually work.  Now I will try them all the way on a long trip.  Wow, if this really works I can go anywhere and not even need all those books, links, contacts and maps.  I can become free and stone-like as a gargoyle.

Imagine looking back, down that is, on wonderment, having knowledge on what used to be mystery.  To overlook or look it over, words and pictures in bits and code, from a godlike gargoyle stance, corroded and looking down on earthlings, while the new ones vie for what I’ve seen and notice not the gargoyle.  They speak ancient words not knowing they are mine.  Years wedge them apart from me, and nobody hears the gargoyle.  It never dies but thrives in stone.  Such sad endings to wonderful mysteries, revel in talk of a new generation, on which I look down and try to tell them how it was.  I’ll taste of this new kind of biking.  I must because it’s there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After this humble beginning the summer waits as in my last post with dates as follows:
Bike trip 6/22 – 6/29
Sierra Hike 7/16 – 7/26
Death Valley 8/16 – 8/30
Pakistan from late September to late October

This last drop-in element of a summer colláge has mounted and taken shape in the last two weeks.  I have an air ticket and will soon deal with the LA office of the Pakistan Consulate.  I will go there in person and request a Visa as tourist.  It’s an impossible process:  I have to buy a round-trip air ticket before they will issue a Visa, and I cannot go to Pakistan without a Visa.

10 comments:

  1. For some strange reason, and I am not sure why I love being the first one to post on your blog. It is a rare event, but I always get excited when it happens.

    Thanks for sharing the flag. I had never seen the Pakistan flag before and the green really shines out with the Crescent moon and the first star of the night.

    May your journey be an adventure full of awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sharon, I hope Michael will be first to post on your blog all summer! That would be so wonderful considering his own adventuresome spirit right now! Oh please Michael be so connected as to do that! For some strange reason I love being second to Michael's post, I think I know why... it assures me he is in touch!

    Sharon your gargoyle visions are alluring and we'll follow this closely with you. I love your sense of a strong beginning on Tuesday. I think you will like the haiku I put into the anonymous workshop yesterday

    burning the candle
    at both ends
    summer solstice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Firsthood, Michael. The flag design is old and what I say did not apply then, but I like the star because in Faisalabad, when the poor people sleep on their roofs in the hot summer, they have no artificial light around, and, unlike us, can see the brilliance of the outside universe.

    Yes, Kathabela, I do like the double-burning haiku. I imaging getting wax all over the floor and accomplishing less, simply by going too fast. I often say: I ride a bicycle to get there faster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm blown away that google can map a bike path out! Now see I've enjoyed your opening sojourn and learned something too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And somehow the Google has located some good bike routes, as I discovered yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are always in adventures. Hope you are fine and our love and prayers are with you. we are waiting for you.
    Rashad from Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, since no one claimed position #3 I'll beat Lois to the pedal & stake my Pakistani claim here.

    I suggest a small green book to be tucked in your rear pocket. Do not use your right hand for anything but eating. For that month don't ride Mr. Google with anything but green standards unless you want to return to us draped in red-white-blue... lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course look for Mr. Bin Ladin. He's probably hiding in Aladin's lamp not unlike Waldo in an antique store in Laguna Beach or San Clemente... lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. On 3rd thought I'd pick Morocco. Rabat would be my choice & safer than being made into a pork burrito in Pakistan... insh alla! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex, you are so unpredictable! So unanswerable, really. In šāʾ Allāh
    Asalam Alykum

    Rashad, It is good to see your here. It will be good to see you there.

    ReplyDelete