Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Friday, June 11, 2010

Extreme Summer

Please join me this summer on a variety of trips.  As before, I plan to go where few have gone, where few find reason to go, where most think it’s crazy to go.  It will be a summer of extremes!  As last winter was extreme with cold, this summer will rise to high elevation and heights in temperature.  You don’t have to buy the philosophy to enjoy the trip.

If I were famous, newspapers would carry headlines:

Headline: 
The Tortoise Cycles South

A colláge of assorted summer fun is starting to well up inside like art does before it happens, I’ll begin by painting a line with my bicycle tire along a third of California’s length, from Ventura to El Cajon.  It’s an easy start to the summer because a bicycle seat has become almost as common as a computer chair.  I have made the trip to my sister many times, and happy visits result.  But this time I will skew the well-known route, because a new thing has arisen under the sun.  Google now maps routes for bicycles.  I have checked a few on two wheels and been happy there; so this trip will provide better science for more distant ones.  More on this in future posts.






Headline: 
Hermit in the Wilderness—Lone backpacker on isolated Sierra trail

When I was young, the woods and canyons above Altadena were where I hid from the monsters of the populated world.  Even now, after learning to stare them down most of the time, I often seek peace in wilderness.  Why I want to go there alone backpacking, and to a part of the mountains where few backpackers go, is an answer that’s difficult to verbalize, but not hard for me understand.  And while it will be asked, for now I won’t even bother.

I will go missing and not post anything from timberline campsites.  But after returning, I am thinking to post each day of the hike on a day at home, to let it unfold slowly from pictures, handwriting, and memory—as did in reality. 

I took this picture from Forester Pass, a bit south of the current planned hike, just after graduating from high school.  Yes, I was alone on that backpacking trip also. 



Headline: 
Life in Death—The Hottest Place in the Hottest Month—Death Valley in August

It seemed appropriate that after wintering in the nation’s coldest place (save Alaska) that I should spend summer in the nation’s hottest.  I have reserved a room in Beatty, Nevada, just outside Death Valley, for August.  I don’t plan to stay inside much, however, but to include lengthy outdoor exploring, as I did in International Falls.  I hope to post every day from there and to hear your feedback.  That cold winter was a good time for me, and may this hot summer be also.

This picture was taken by my uncle Knowlton in 1938 at Death Valley.



Headline:  
Pakistan in October

I want to visit this beautiful country and its loving people.  I feel I know them from their messages of encouragement, as if they are the ones who should be encouraging.  I want to live with them, wear a shalwar kameez, and do as they do for the month of October.  Perhaps I can apply thirty years of making maps and plans to needed projects and make a small difference, leave a small trace. 






        _______________________________




This summer colláge stands in hope, like a finished painting hangs in waiting, like some of yours hang on walls.  I call the whole, Sharon’s Summer, mirroring a picture from across the room, Sharon’s Winter.  But the summer will not all be invested in wild schemes; much of it will remain at home as usual, though usual seldom happens.  I usually ask things like, What have I to live for?  What have I to fear?  I have already given away the great majority of my strength.  The quest is over.  Not a sorrow, this, but relaxation.

12 comments:

  1. One who gives away strength will awaken to find it back home again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Steven, I find that true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roll On Sharon! All of your adventures will be wonderful. As your winter experience was a high point of my winter months, it looks like your summer will brighten and enliven summer. Thanks for taking us on the adventure. My summer will be the inverse of yours, small, interior challenges, many hours in the nursing home and doing maintenance on Tonia's house. I look forward to our dialogue, it will help me through. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, Small interior challenges are hard! It’s why I often seek the easier outer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posting this from our own (almost summer) adventure, in Croatia and Nordfriesland... I am reminded by this of how much there is of the unexpected in every journey, where I knew nothing of, or only knew words for, now I have a sense of connectedness, experience that I have taken deeply to heart, it is very different having come to these places than I could have imagined. I can feel it sinking in deeper to myself, and so the expression is a part of the process for me as it has been for you, the sharing gives more vision by monologue and precious dialogue. I'll be there on your journey, and value your ventures as brave challenges for you and us too. By following closely as always I will learn as you go. I will miss you though, also, as always, as we both know we cannot be both here and there. Except this way, which true, is something... not the same, but still, a very treasured conversation. I see your summer plan and (!) October (!)as a continuing unusual but for you, natural, and bold adventure. I love the photos you used, so personal and showing how you are following your own past, and your familiy history, and beyond. You are a precious friend, and brave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathabela, I have your new email and pictures, and will be happy to see you home again. “We cannot be both here and there, except this way, not the same, but still, a very treasured conversation.” May the conversation travel through summer and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray Sharon!! I'm going with you. Thanks for livening up our summer. Not that we are sitting around at home. Right now we are in Colorado dog sitting Cody the Wonder Dog. He persists in wondering what mischief his paws can find. We'll be home soon and will follow you all the way. Bless you to bless others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining the band, Carol. I hope we have a wonderful summer as Wonder Dog no doubt is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I arrived here and look forward to all of your summer journeys. Let the games begin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so looking forward to Pakistan...boom boom pachyderm.... (a little Joanie Mitchel for ya...

    ReplyDelete
  11. looking forward to it all
    boom boom ratatouille.
    pachyderm and pack a zucchini
    and certainly better pack enough water in your backpack-its hot out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Susan, good advice. Trouble is I’d need a mule to pack enough zucchini and water for six days. Mules are friendly and cute, but I can do with dehydrated food and what water I can find.

    Lois, I love Joni Mitchel. How’d ya know?

    ReplyDelete