Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Second Date and Not in Love

My infatuation with Mr. Google turned sour today.  He offended my sensibilities and hurt my sense of logic and order.  On our first date he led me along pleasant bicycle paths and residential streets without bad traffic.  But today if I had followed him, I would have missed the entirely beautiful San Gabriel River bicycle path, which goes all the way from where I have always joined it in Rosemead to the ocean.  With him, I would have wallowed in a maze of trafficked streets instead.  Thus ends my crush and the beginning of a cautious relationship where my eyes are not all agush.  Against his wishes I took the well-known bike path along the river as I’ve done all these years of going it on my own.  Can it be that even ability to trust another is waning?








It looks like a super highway, but the scale is deceptive.  This is the bike path above San Dimas Dam, so close to the 605 that I can hear it, so far that that the sound could be a rushing river.  











Where the river reaches the ocean, I turned along the surf and traversed Bolsa Chica Park, across PCH from where poets have been known to witness the habits of birds and where today I witnessed thousands of beach bunnies and volleyball geeks while dodging toddlers on the bike path.  












I travel with a desk and chair wherein I read whatever’s posted there; today it’s some notes on the Google route—a sad poem of lost love and making it on my own. 









A traffic jam at Huntington Beach (two pictures below)





















The new pedestrian and bicycle path along the shore at San Clemente.  I stopped here for the night at Budget Host Inn, a good place in spite of its name.

5 comments:

  1. Aw.... Sharon I am happy you are nested with the budget host.... we had a fantastic day at Susan's 2-8 PM! we're home and thinking of your journey. It sounds like aside from lost love you've had a good ride and survived intact... now hopefully some sweet dreaming... and we'll talk in the morning... we missed you in the gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Sharon,
    Erickson's 1st psychosocial developmental stage is Trust versus Mistrust. But it's not a simple bipolarity. It's actually a four-part maze to travel through: Healthy Trust/Unhealthy Trust versus Healthy Mistrust/Unhealthy Mistrust. I wish you wise waxing and waning as you proceed. Sharon R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Google's fate would a nice poem make. Soltice week thoughts
    From Now and Then

    Night in Day
    The night never wants to end, to give itself over
    to light. So it traps itself in things:
    osedian,crows,
    Even on summer solstice, the day of light's great
    triumph,where fields of sunflowers guzzle in the sun--
    we break open the watermelon and spit out black seeds, bits of night glistening on the grass.
    Joseph Stroud

    I will meet my daughter Kathleen in San Francisco on Tuesday. Precious time in a big city. A gift. As you are. Celia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathabela, yes it was a good day of fighting traffic and being the fastest one on the trail—well mostly.

    Sharon, Nice to see you here. My trust/mistrust affair with Mr. Google is makes me like him better when he’s good. Is that a category? Hehe

    Rashad, Wish you were here riding beside me. Soon in Pakistan we’ll walk together in Pahari Chock

    Celia, nice thoughts about solstice, night , and Mr Google

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo! Does your bicycle have TWO computers?

    ReplyDelete