Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day One to El Cajon

I breathed a bug in the early morning while passing a strawberry field of Oxnard.  I felt it twitching in my throat and spoke harshly and loudly to the intruder.  If it was a vocal bug I’m sure it responded, but I didn’t hear if it did.  I think it must have been terrified in the dark cavity into which it had flown or into which it was sucked, a kind of Jonah in great distress.  I think it got tangled in my shrieking vocal chords; at least that’s how it felt.  I haven’t seen or felt the bug for some time now or I’d ask how it felt to be so close that our vocal chords entangled, and together made new sounds.

But that was the only distress on a mostly pleasant ride from Ventura to South Pasadena.  I’ve taken a certain route all these years of making the trip to my sister’s house. I studied it some fifteen years ago and have it so memorized that I seldom consult a map.  But this time I diverted from habit and followed the new Google recommendations for cyclists.  I entered my two end points and asked for the best bicycle route.  Google took me along bike trails I did not know existed, and mostly along streets that are residential and not crowded with cars.  Where cars abound, then in most cases a bike lane kept me reasonably far from their threat.  My old route was good, but the Google route is better.





Strawberry pickers in Cararillo, on the way up to Simi Valley.  I think it is not possible to start earlier in the morning than farm workers in Santa Clara River Delta.







The organic produce from Underwood Farm in Moorpark is just like that of the Caltech Poetry Garden: every bit as much; every bit as good. Three photos below:













One of the many pleasures in riding a bicycle over great distances is finding a little locally-owned coffee shop after about thirty miles in mid-morning. Southern California is mostly devoid of them, ranking far below the Midwest.  But if you are ever pedaling through Simi Valley on such an occasion, I can highly recommend Jerry’s Coffee Shop on Los Angeles Street just west of the train station on the north side.




After Simi Valley comes the long climb up and over Santa Susana Pass.  I take a twisty road not far from the 118 Freeway.  It’s always a pleasure to see the summit and know that a roller coaster awaits just over the top. 














And here it is folks.  It might as well be Mt. Everest!















While I was pushing long and hard to get over the pass, a train was gliding through a tunnel underneath me, and cars were rushing along the freeway.  But they were not having as much fun. 



















Is this a scene from Yosemite Valley, or from Joshua Tree?  No, just part of Rocky Peak near Santa Susana Pass. 













After The Pass, I slid down into The Valley at Chatsworth, and found a bike trail along the river.  It provided a few miles of solace before the maze of streets and congestion that we call home.  It wasn’t bad though, I found more home than congestion.










 I didn’t know about the new busway along Victory Boulevard.  And better than the busway is the bike path beside it.  It’s a safe route, but difficult at the street crossings.The pedestrian and bike signals keep us waiting and sometimes seem not to work at all.  












From Balboa eastward, the bike path is less transected by streets and more pleasant.





I’m a little hoarse today from singing with the bug, but otherwise fine and resting here at home for three days without a car before proceeding south.  I might hold out a sign: “Will write poetry for a lift.”

5 comments:

  1. Quite a way to begin, Sharon!!! Quite the beginning for your summer of extremes.
    "I breathed a bug
    in the early morning
    while I passed a strawberry field
    in Oxnard..."

    A surprising and small-scale horrific "poetic" exerience... along with the "shrieking" you did too, with it tangled in your vocal web...

    Glad it was the only real distress... and I expect you will be sure to keep your mouth closed while biking from now on???

    Reminds me of your little black beauty-frostbite-mark and your first steps on the ice in International Falls...

    We must have passed you somewhere along this way (at some distance) on our way to Santa Barbara to visit my mother and Colleen, this Solstice Day... we are happy you are back home with us now, after the roller coaster down (I breathed a sigh of relief just reading that after your Everest-like climb). I am happy you found new paths you like, and as always admire your determination and successful scaling of self-made summits.

    The next two days I think you will get a lift to write some poetry with us, I am looking forward to more time together before you are off on another adventure southward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To keep my mouth closed while biking is not an option; trying to see bugs in mouth’s path is. I might have breathed you too if you had passed Santa Rosa Road while on the Ventura Freeway at a certain time and in a certain state of wanting to be breathed. Such harmonies it would have made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,

    A lovely post and beautiful pictures as well. I think I liked the shot of the mellow road you took to get over the pass. And the coffee shop seemed nice too.

    I look forward to the next leg of the journey tomorrow.

    Try to start out the way with out having to inhale any extra nutrition.

    More fun Google bike maps !
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're not going south to north. I'd love to ride more like this too.

    Lately I've been spending my life on a treadmill. One exception is that I've taken to sailing this past month.

    Looking forward, as always, to more stories from your very special view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, Thanks for the well wishes. I extent them to you as well as you travel to New Mexico and then to other new places. The well is deep and wishing is half the fun.

    Steven, You speak like a cyclist when you say that you’re happy I am going south, not north, along the California coast. We are pedalers who have tasted the wind in our faces and remember well.

    ReplyDelete