Sharon's Summer

Sharon's Summer
Sharon Chooses High Elevation and High Temperature

Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Day Hike to Fern Lake


Before wandering into the wilderness, to the high elevation, where I’ll have to attend to whatever befalls and keep from falling, it seemed best to acclimate.  For this I am staying for three nights at a motel in June Lake at 7,600’ taking baby steps into the high country.  Today I ventured a climb up to Fern Lake at 9,000’ taking it easy, having never done such a climb at such an age.  And took lots of pictures. 

I feel like a yellow squash plant that has never grown a squash.  I hesitate, anxious to move ahead, sensing the wonders around me, but reticent to move away from the way things have been.






Bonsai tree in a Japanese garden, set among rocks so placed by craftsmen to appear at peace in their longstanding positions.  Or rather a tree that found it best to grow this way in this particular place.












Fern Lake rests in a glacial cirque where all ice has melted and the basin carved by the ice is home to trees, water, and fish, all in proportions that a Japanese garden builder might find worth adopting.







Water gushes out from under the remaining snowfields and cascades down into Silver Lake and June Lake.












As if it were planted by someone, a garden grows along the trail to Fern Lake.












Silver Lake, not far from June Lake where I am staying.

You can click on any picture to make it bigger.

6 comments:

  1. Some great shots of the Sierra, looks like you have some really nice weather. Curious to know the night time lows when you are out there. Water bottle hopefully should not freeze, let me know.

    Great walking,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, to climb. Oh how I wish I had your legs and and your lungs. This is the way to experience the natural beauty of nature. Off you go now, Sharon....hand in hand with John Muir : ) Let all your senses take in every morsel, and smile a lot along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Lois, this place is almost unbelievable in its beauty. I don’t think that mansions along streets of gold could be more beautiful.

    Michael, It’s good to hear from you. The nights here in June Lake have been well above water-bottle-freezing. The forecast is good, and I feel ready.
    I also have your comment on Manzanar, and hope your internet works better than mine during the week in the back country.

    Gail, yes I will take in every morsel that I can and, on returning, will give a day-by-day account with pictures, and hopefully a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the line "having never done such a climb at such an age" I guess we can say that about everything we do... but in this case especially so... I am glad it feels good to you, and you are being richly rewarded with pristine beauty. Love your photos and the framing of them... they really glow with the unique clarity of that place... it's almost unbelievable that such places exist and this too is part of life. The photos look to me like bold illustrations of our inner life. Usually secret and remote, unconscious... but here in full color... as if our most vivid dreams have come to life. One wonders if the dreams come from such visions or if our inner vision is an attunement to this outer natural beauty... since in an important sense... we are part of it as living beings on this beautiful planet in its natural forms... onward dear friend on all your journies, inner and outer linked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your imagination, Kathabela, is greater than mine when you say these scenes are “bold illustrations of our inner life, usually secret and remote, unconscious.” It’s the artist in you talking.

    ReplyDelete